For more information by topic, click on the following links:
My honourees: Jonathan Kenyon and Kirsi Munck
Details of my training
My Virtual Team in Training

Sunday, June 28, 2009

My inspiration band

I was thinking about inspiration today as I headed out for my long run. In the past, inspiration for my running has tended to be things like the size of my waistline, the data on my heart rate monitor, or the latest issue of Runner’s World. My training for Chicago is inspired by something completely different – a desire to pay tribute to those whose lives have been touched by blood cancers and to contribute to finding cures for all forms of the disease.

Many marathoners wear a pace band on their wrists when they race. The band sets out the time it will take them to reach every mile marker if they are running at their goal pace. I’m going to wear a different kind of band – an inspiration band – one that lists the names of people I know, or know of, who have been victims of leukemia or lymphoma. My plan is to put 26 names on it – one to provide inspiration for each mile of the race. So far, I’ve collected 9.

Of course, top of the list are Jon and Kirsi. Then comes my TNT teammate, Gill, who is herself a survivor and will be running with me in Chicago. (You can check out her story here.)

This week I learned that one of my work colleagues – a beautiful bright young program analyst – is also a survivor of childhood leukemia. Another colleague confided that his father died of leukemia. So, suddenly, I am running for them as well.

Next, there’s Michael, the young nephew of good friends, who faced death with more grace and courage than most adults; our family friend, Dawn, who died of pneumonia while undergoing leukemia treatments last year; my old friend Leah’s grandfather, who died of leukemia many years ago; and beautiful Maeve, the daughter of a law school classmate, who died of the disease 10 years ago.

No matter how tough the next few months of training or the marathon itself turns out to be, I know my inspiration band will help me get through it. If there are names you’d like to add to my band, please email me or leave a comment here.

No comments:

Post a Comment