For more information by topic, click on the following links:
My honourees: Jonathan Kenyon and Kirsi Munck
Details of my training
My Virtual Team in Training

Monday, June 8, 2009

Believing in the run

I read a great Nike ad this week:

“Running never takes more than it gives back. Believe in the
run”.

I’m beginning to suspect that this run – the Chicago marathon – will demonstrate that for me in a way no other race has.

Training for races has always been about me -- about making me feel happier, stronger and healthier -- but this time it is also about providing financial support for research and patient services for those who are fighting leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. And knowing that is more motivating than I ever imagined.

My fundraising efforts have started well. Friends and family are responding to my initial appeal with great generosity -- almost $1300 raised to date -- and I appreciate their support more than I can say. It helps so much to know that so they are behind me. The messages they have left on my TNT fundraising page have also been wonderful and very moving!

I ran a terrific 12km long slow run yesterday. It was overcast and cool so I mostly had the trails to myself – except, of course, for the birds, squirrels, chipmunks and groundhogs. With less traffic than usual, I was able to let my mind wander a good part of the time. When it’s going well, a long run truly is a meditation in motion.

I ran a couple of faster runs this week too. At moments, they felt hard. But whenever I felt tempted to quit or slow down, I reminded myself of my reasons for doing this, and just how lucky I am to be able to run.

That’s another gift running gives me -- a tremendous sense of gratitude – for good health, friends and family, the beautiful world in which we live, and the chance to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment